Friday, June 23, 2006

Chicks Rule

Saw the video for the Dixie Chicks new single "Not Ready to Make Nice" for the first time this morning. The song itself didn't blow me away, but the integrity behind the statement really struck me. Politicians (of both parties) triangulate for political gain so regularly these days, one never knows whether they really believe most of what they say. Yet here are three musicians, who have been vilified, threatened and boycotted by angry mobs, standing up for their principles, even at great risk to their careers and finances. A refreshing dose of authenticity in an otherwise poll-tested world. My favorite verse, and the chorus:
I made my bed and I sleep like a baby
With no regrets and I don’t mind sayin’
It’s a sad sad story when a mother will teach her
Daughter that she ought to hate a perfect stranger
And how in the world can the words that I said
Send somebody so over the edge
That they’d write me a letter
Sayin’ that I better shut up and sing
Or my life will be over

I’m not ready to make nice
I’m not ready to back down
I’m still mad as hell and
I don’t have time to go round and round and round
It’s too late to make it right
I probably wouldn’t if I could
‘Cause I’m mad as hell
Can’t bring myself to do what it is you think I should

Agree with their politics or not. But admire their backbone.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I heard the song over the 4th of July weekend, and I like what she did with it.

I especially like where she says - Its too late to make it right, and I'm not sure I would if I could.